Saturday, December 04, 2004

Dingalan, Aurora: Part 2

There were about five hundred people waiting for us. The choppers landed 50 meters apart and it was a good thing that we had soldiers to help us with the load (come to think of it, wala na pala akong binuhat mula sa helikopter!).

T. Ellen set up the tables as T. James drafted the careflow. I waited for the signal and started seeing the adult patients.

Were they really sick? Well for those with wounds, I guess that's a no-brainer. But for most, it was hard to believe that they really had headaches, tummy aches, dizziness and all those other ailments. I was slowly getting carried away with my suspicions when I was presented with a kid with bilaterla subconjunctival hemmorhage. Pitiful sight even for a doctor like me. But what was more heart wrenching was that all his five siblings had died a few days before from the landslide. He was the only one left.

Sorry for the doubts. I had no right to be righteous in the midst of the misery of these people. For all you know, they wanted the medicines just in case they're in for another misfortune.


No comments: